Edwin M. Knowles began producing what he called the finest quality semi vitreous chinaware after graduating from Harvard University in 1890. Officially entering the market in 1901, Knowles’ pieces rapidly grew in popularity throughout the end of the nineteenth and beginning of the twentieth centuries which increased both demand and production of Knowles’ product through the Depression Era and beyond. From about the 1940s, the shape of the Knowles company and its design began to change in reaction to the changing styles of the times. Throughout the remainder of the 1960s and all of the 1970s, the name Knowles only existed in plates as vintage offerings from the original Edwin M. Knowles China Co. Then, in 1982, the Edwin M. Knowles China Company name re-emerged, from a completely new source.
The name was copyrighted by a group completely unrelated to the original
Knowles that became a new, exclusive supplier to companies within the
Bradford Group. This group, which includes Bradford Exchange Ltd, produces
only limited edition collector plates that display artwork. These works are the
ones most familiar to people looking for "Knowles Collectors Plates